Photobucket

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Rancho El Destino

Meet Juan Carlos Iriarte and Lisa Dwyer of Rancho El Destino. Fate plopped us down in the same place at the same time just a couple of weeks ago. At Doc Robinson's. He is our local country vet with a waiting room the size of a pea.

I was there with our almost 15 year old dog who wasn't feeling well, and they were there with an adorable newly adopted puppy. It was a long wait - well over 2 hours - so in that tiny pea-sized room we began chit-chatting. I learned that Juan was a horse trainer and that he and Lisa owned a ranch. They learned that I was a photographer. They asked if I took pictures of horses....


And that is how I ended up at Rancho El Destino. I can't tell you what a fabulous time I had. Horses are such beautiful, graceful creatures. They are a real pleasure to photograph. But there was much more to it than just capturing a pretty image! Juan taught me what to look for and when to snap the shutter. He knew exactly what he wanted. All I can say is, for me, it was really cool.

These beauties are Paso Finos. Juan and his family have been training these horses for 5 generations. Juan's father owns Startown Stables, another local Paso Fino stable.



Juan's method of training is quiet and calm. I thought of him as a "horse whisperer". He's very disciplined and you can see that his horses have a great deal of respect for him. He and Lisa's stable is beautiful. Neat as a pin and runs like a well-oiled machine. The animals of Rancho El Destino are treated like royalty. And I think they know it.

Here Juan is wearing the customary chaps that are part of the Paso Fino show finery. They are VERY long and weigh a ton! Look, they almost drag the ground!

Lisa told me that she learned to ride just a little over two years ago. I would have never known. She rides like a seasoned pro and handles horses like she's been around them her entire life.

This is Chepe, one of Juan and Lisa's two newly adopted pound puppies. After a morning of frolicking in the barns and fields he was just plum tuckered and decided to lay down and take a nap. My kids and I are just in love with him. He is a doll.

Just look at these faces. Gotta love those big soulful eyes and those soft as satin noses ....

As I said, neat as a pin and perfectly organized. That's the way Rancho El Destino works.

I think you now know how much I enjoyed my time at Juan and Lisa's. I will be studying up on my equine photography so that next time I can take even better pictures for them.
You can learn more about Rancho El Destino by visiting http://www.ranchoeldestino.com/


Juan and Lisa, I just want to say thanks for giving me the opportunity to come and shoot for you. And for being so patient and taking the time to answer my endless questions.
Juan, we're thinking of you, and hope you get well soon.
~ Sandy

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

gorgeous work! I absolutely love and adore horses and I've always wanted to take beautiful photographs like this of my families horses but still haven't succeeded. Your an inspiration for this!

Unknown said...

You did an amazing job on these. The horses are breathtaking, and you captured them well! Beautiful!

Kara May said...

Oh I love the picture of Chepe! Beautiful - I also love the image of the white horse - all are beautiful though. Great work!

Sandy Keys said...

Thanks so much ladies!! I can't tell you how much your kind words mean to me!

Stephanie said...

I'm so jealous! It has been my dream for some time now to be an equine photographer. I just haven't had the opportunity yet. I may this spring though. I have had 3 horse owners express interest in having me take pictures. Anyway, these are great! You did a wonderful job.

Sandy Keys said...

Thanks Stephanie!

As a matter of fact, I just went out to the ranch again this morning to shoot a few more photos for them. It's very overcast out, so hope they turn out....

I LOVE equine photography!!!! I hope to do a lot more. My pics have been making the rounds here locally and I'm doing Juan's sister's ranch next week.

I'd say if you have people that are interested, just go for it. I went out to the ranch to "practice" at no charge, and they ended up buying 75% of what I shot. Then I went back later in the week and spent the entire day for posed shots. Today, I did some horses that they are putting up for sale. Feel free to e-mail me if you want some more info. skeysphoto@yahoo.com

Be sure and keep checking back cause I'm sure I'll have more horse pictures to post soon.

And, again, THANKS for the compliments! This post has been a big hit. :)

Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for my Email Newsletter
For Email Marketing you can trust

PLEASE DO NOT COPY

All images are protected under the US Copyright Law, and belong to S Keys Photography. Do not save to your hard drive, download, print or post any image from this blog.

Thank you for respecting my work.

Thanks for stopping by!